Tuesday, November 18, 2008

"Fun" Saturday

Saturday November 15, 2008
I (Kevin) wanted to get some work done on the garage we are building. Mom (Ann) and I had not been to the temple for awhile and need to get some things. Cory wanted Neal to help get some firewood. So, we figured that Mom and I would leave early (4:00 am) and get back hopefully by noon, by then Cory and Neal should be back from hauling wood and we could work on the garage for awhile. Not long after Mom and I got back, Neal called and said that the battery had died on the truck and that Grandpa (Lenard) was going to come up to hep them. I decided to ride up there with him. Grandpa and I got back around 2:30. I did some work on the garage. Around 3:15 we received another call from Neal. He said they were on the way in and that Cory had "nicked" him with the chainsaw. They were sawing down a tree when the saw kicked back onto his leg. When they got home, we looked at the wound and knew he definitely would need stitches (it was more than a nick) We took him to the emergency room and Dr Katchke put 29 stitches below his left knee. If the cut had been a little higher he would have got the Patella tendon and that would have need surgery. He did Nick the bone but not bad enough to worry about. All in all he was fortunate it was not worse. We are grateful for that. If you want pictures just email Neal and he will send you some.


Neal had a couple of poems he need to write for English class. For one of them he had to use four words, Hazardous, bodacious, shizzle and sizzle. Sunday evening he went to Cory and Melissa house for them to help with the poems. Following is the one they come up about the accident.

Just Another Day

It started out, just another bodacious day
Of chopping wood, “Great fun,” I might say.
I soon discovered we shouldn’t be there
For problems arose… more than our share.
Past days of chopping wood have just flown,
But today the saw had a mind you might call its own.
Once we stopped sawing, the saw wouldn’t start
For at least an hour, though, that wasn’t the worst part.
The saw started once again and we worked some more
To the sound of the saw’s very loud roar.
We felt good for just a moment, or less
For we soon found we were in quite a mess.
The battery in the truck was really dead,
Not a sizzle, or a spark. “Oh great”, I said.
For I was with my brother and his 3-year old kid,
Under the covers that morning I should have hid.
That’s not the worst part yet you see,
A hazardous event was waiting for me.
The saw was on and running once more,
It was cutting our final tree, and then I swore.
“Oh shizzle”, was something I might have said
I thought “At least I’m not yet dead.”
For it grazed my gigantic leg you see,
It was supposed to have gotten the tree!
We rushed down to the emergency room
Then we waited for the doctor who came pretty soon.
Lucky for me there would be no surgery
Though, I wasn’t yet home free, you see.
Twenty-nine stitches just under my knee.

4 comments:

Jeff & Jeanette said...

I loved the poem! Very creative...I'd print it and save it for future memories...quite the story to tell!

Vera said...

The poem is great!!! I thought you were going to at least post a picture of your leg in the brace!

Cory said...

Well... compared to Neals leg it was a nick. I mean have you seen the size of that leg. And we didn't want Mom and Dad to worry too much.

Anonymous said...

Yeah always gotta make mom and dad not worry too much. Also Vera sorry I always tell my self when I go to bed that I need to do that but in the morning I forget sorry. An update I will be getting the stitches out on wed. at 3:30